A letter to the Radio Times

Viv and I have a subscription to The Radio Times: we like to know what's on TV. There’s so much rubbish on that we don’t like to miss the one or two good programs, like Secrets of the London Underground or reruns of Ever Decreasing Circles.  

But like much of the mainstream media it has got caught up in peddling liberal ideas. The 21-27 May issue landed on our doormat on Tuesday, I flicked through it and as soon as I saw the article on page 9 my blood pressure shot up: ‘Enough Tudors and Stuarts’, I read, ‘by Troy Deeney’.


‘Let's  teach all our children about black history’,  it starts.


Troy is a career footballer, I believe.


I’ve sent off an email to the Feedback pages of RT:


Hi


Troy Deeney (RT, 21-27 May)  has missed the point about the study of history in schools.


History is taught because it explains the way things are in the UK: our language, our customs, our laws. It is not about us as individuals. The Tudor and Stuart period tells us, among other things, why there is a tube station in London called 'Monument', and why there are many pubs called The King's Head and The Royal Oak. 


Some of my ancestors came over from West Cork at the start of the 20th Century, but I learned almost nothing about Irish history - including the civil war in which my relatives fought -  in school. 


History taught in school is about our nation, and what we have in common, not what makes us different or what might be used as an excuse to stir up racial tension. 


Regards


Phil.


I await with interest to see whether they publish it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is society over-medicated?

And you wonder why I'm sceptical on matters medical?

The roots of my character